Friday, September 19, 2008

Where I Stick My Foot in My Mouth

Once in a very great while, I find myself on the WoW forums (usually the Hunter forums) looking for a good debate, entertainment, or general news I somehow missed. Today, I found this thread.

I've been reading through it and honestly wasn't planning on writing anything about it, since I don't PVP, but I have to share a post written byAktarin, a Hunter from the Shadow Council server:

Hunter: Look, I think this is overpowered and here's why. *sets out logical arguments*
Rogue: OVERPOWERED?! YOU ALL HAVE STUNS! STUNLOCKS! POISONS! THINGS!
Hunter: No, that's you that you mean.
Mage: Um yeah. That'd be you.
Rogue: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! You ALL have stuns and things I can't fight! You.. you.. you can iceblock! NOT FAIR!
Hunter: Can we just get back to the point?
Rogue: THE POINT IS THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY!
Warrior: What were we talking about?
Rogue: How hunters are overpowered! They can wingclip! And frost trap!
Hunter: No, we WEREN'T talking about that! We were talking about dismantle and how it's unfair when you already have a gajillion stuns against our class!
Rogue: *starts flailing around spouting gibvberish and quoting improbably statistics*

-pause-

Warlock: Oh god. he's going to do the wookie defence.
Rogue: But, ladies and gentlemen of this supposed raid, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!
Hunter: Oh god.
Rogue: Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this matter of OPdom? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this matter at hand! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a roguer defending my unbelievably overpowered class abilities, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that developers room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this raid and development team, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must nerf hunters!
Warrior: But..
Rogue: LOOK AT THE MONKEY! LOOK AT THE SILLY MONKEY! *waves a stuffed toy*
*Warrior's head explodes*


I may be alone in this, but this just cracked me up. Part of what I like about the Hunter community is we tend to attract some hilarious people. BRK is a very good example of what I mean. These people can make their point and do it in a way that is funny. I'm sure other communities have people like this, but I'm biased and so enjoy the Hunter people more. :P

So what's the skill they're all crying and ranting and debating about over there? Rogues are getting a new skill called Dismantle. It is first available at level 20, and increases from there - meaning Rogues will have this, as a base skill, come the 3.0 patch.

Is it OP? I honestly have to say "I don't know" because I didn't fight that many Rogues when I was dorking around in arenas with my Shaman friend. I have never really fought a Rogue because I know, with my latency, I can't kite him. That, and I don't enjoy duels anyway. :P

However, I can say if I had tried to level on my old PVP server and Rogues had this, I probably would have quit by the time I got to STV. It was bad enough getting camped by 70s, but having no weapon to help defend myself against a same-level Rogue would have been worse. I have managed to beat a Rogue at the same level as me on a PVP server in STV, but it was a very close thing. Only saving grace was a freezing trap -> aimed shot crit -> arcane shot crit. If he had had a trinket, I would have been toast.

So while I personally don't care if Rogues get more buffs to arena, I know there are plenty of people out there who would like to PVP on their Hunters. For their sake, I hope this gets reworked, because I can't come up with a way to get away from a Rogue without a melee or ranged weapon equipped that is not easily countered by a PVP spec Rogue. Short of having a secondary weapon, anyway (if you can even re-equip when disarmed).

No comments: